Martinique Natural Park takes stock of actions to protect the White Breasted Thrasher
In September 2020, the PNM organized a steering committee (COPIL) for the Life BIODIV’OM project in order to take stock of the actions aimed at protecting the White-breasted thrasher.
COPIL © PNM
The steering committee has a decision-making role: its objective is to ensure the overall smooth running of the project and the sustainability of actions over time.
To do this, it meets once or twice a year in order to validate the technical, financial and administrative report for the past year and make recommendations concerning the provisional schedule for the following year.
About ten structures are members of COPIL Life BIODIV’OM in Martinique:
- the Territorial Collectivity of Martinique (CTM);
- the Community of Agglomeration of the North Martinique Country (CAP North Martinique);
- the City of La Trinité;
- the Department of the Environment, Planning and Housing (DEAL Martinique);
- the Coastal Conservatory (Martinique branch);
- the National Forestry Office (ONF, Territorial Directorate of Martinique);
- the National Center for Scientific Research (UMR CNRS 8053, in collaboration with the University of the West Indies – UA);
- the Le Carouge Association;
- the Martinique Marine Natural Park, as a member of the OFB.
These actors are also referents in the framework of the coordination of the first concerted action plan for the conservation of the White-breasted thrasher (Ramphocinclus brachyurus) in Martinique.
On the program: results and perspectives
White-breasted thrasher © Frantz DELCROIX
- This COPIL was an opportunity to take stock of the actions carried out in 2019-2020 in Martinique: school interventions, consultation meetings with farmers and fishermen.
- The concerted action plan favorable to the White-breasted thrasher was also presented to the members of the COPIL in order to be able to have the main orientations of this document validated by all the members of the committee.
- Upcoming actions and prospects for 2020-2021 were also discussed, such as the establishment of the Thrasher Brigade.